Chicken Gnocchi Veronese
Prep Time: 30 min - 2 hrs, 30 m
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 4 8 12
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced (julienned)
½ zucchini, sliced, (julienned)
Salt to taste
4 chicken breasts, sliced in ½" strips
2 small branches rosemary
1 garlic clove, minced
Juice of ½ lemon
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup ricotta cheese
14 fl oz heavy cream
2 qt water
6 oz all-purpose flour
2 lbs russet potatoes
2 tsp salt
1 lb gnocchi (potato dumplings), cooked according to package directions
NOTE: You may make your own gnocchi by following the steps below, or you may purchase them already made.
1. WASH potatoes and place in water. Cook potatoes until soft (cook time will depend on size of potatoes). Remove potatoes from water and cool in refrigerator.
2. PEEL cooled potatoes and push them through a fine grater (rice grater) until mashed; do not over-mash potatoes or they will get tough.
3. COMBINE potatoes, flour and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix well until dough does not stick to hands (add small amounts of flour at a time if needed).
4. DIVIDE dough into 4 sections. Roll out each section into a long rope. Cut each rope into ½" pieces. Push fork tines on each piece for the classic gnocchi appearance.
5. BRING water to a boil in a sauce pot. Drop in gnocchi and cook until they float.
Chicken & Sauce
1. COMBINE garlic, lemon juice, rosemary and chicken slices in a mixing bowl. Let marinate for at least 2 hours.
2. COMBINE Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese and heavy cream in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. HEAT sauté pan on medium high. Add extra virgin olive oil, onions, bell peppers, and zucchini. Saute until onions are translucent (do not brown).
4. ADD marinated chicken slices and cook until slices are brown on all sides and internal temperature is 165°F. Reduce heat and add sauce mixture. Bring to a simmer.
5. DRAIN cooked gnocchi and add to pan with chicken, vegetables and sauce. Stir to coat gnocchi with sauce.
6. SERVE gnocchi topped with extra Parmesan cheese.