3 lb skirt steak
2 large yellow onions
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
16 whole-wheat tortillas
1 cup lime juice
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
PICO DE GALLO:
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 scallions,chopped (green onions)
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 or 4 fresh jalapenos, minced
juice of 1/2 lime
salt to taste
Guacamole and about 2 cups grated longhorn cheddar cheese
(1) Combine marinade ingredients in a large glass baking dish.
(2) Peel the fatty membrane from both sides of the skirt steak. This requires a very sharp knife. Add meat to marinade and marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Keep it in the refrigerator if you marinate overnight.
(3) Make the pico de gallo: combine all of the ingredients in a small serving bowl. Slice the yellow onions into 1/4-inch slices, and cut each slice into a semicircle.
(4)Grill the meat until it is cooked slightly less than the way you like it. Meanwhile, saute the onions in the oil until they are soft. Use a large frying pan that will have enough room for the meat later.
(5) After removing the meat from the grill, slice it into strips that are cut across the grain. The strips should be 3-4 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. Add the strips to the onions in the pan, and fry for another minute or two.
(6) Place on the table the pan full of meat, the bowl of pico de gallo, a basket with the tortillas which have been warmed, a bowl of guacamole, and a bowl of grated cheese. You may wish to provide picante sauce in addition.
(7) Each person makes her own fajita by taking a tortilla, spooning some of the meat onto it, then adding her choice of each of the other ingredients in whatever combination she wants.
NOTES Skirt steak is somewhat like flank steak: somewhat tough, and with a very stringy texture. It is covered on both sides with a fatty membrane that must be removed or the meat will be very tough. The key to good fajitas is the proper removal of this membrane.
Fresh-squeezed lime juice is best, but bottled will do. Some people from out of state choose to put sour cream on their fajitas.