KitchenAid Mixer French Bread
Serving something that is just calling for homemade French bread to go with it?! Get out your KitchenAid mixer and go for it!!! Another yummy recipe from my KitchenAid mixer cookbook! (I have used this recipe for the base for pizza bread made with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese...sprinkle on the oblong of dough before it's rolled....YUM!) Prep time includes time for rising of dough.
2 packages active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 F)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 egg white
1 tablespoon cold water
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed Bowl.
2. Add salt, butter, and flour.
3. Attach bowl and dough hook.
4. Turn to Speed 2 and mix until well blended, about 2 minutes.
5. Knead on Speed 2 for 2 minutes.
6. Dough will be sticky.
7. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
8. Cover; let rise in warm place till double in bulk, about 1 hour.
9. Punch dough down and divide into 2 equal parts.
10. Roll each part into a 12 x 15-inch oblong.
11. Roll up dough tightly beginning at long side, tapering ends if desired.
12. Place loaves on greased baking sheets, which have been sprinkled with cornmeal.
13. Cover; let rise in warm place, till doubled, about an hour.
14. With sharp knife, make 4 diagonal cuts on top of each loaf.
15. Bake at 450 F for 25 minutes.
16. Remove from oven and brush with slightly beaten egg white and water.
17. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes longer.
18. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
19. Note: If desired, you may sprinkle loaves with poppy seeds or sesame seeds after brushing with egg wash and before baking for final 5 minutes.